Renting Tips

Discover Everything You Need To Know With The Most Frequently Asked Questions By Tenants

New Tenancy-min

As a tenant, it’s smart to be clued-up on your rights, obligations, and what you need to do to rent a property.

Find out what you need to know by taking a look at the frequently asked tenant questions below:


What Information Do I Need To Provide To Apply For A Property?

Application Form-min

When applying for a rental property through our office you will need the following:

  1. A fully completed and signed Application Form
  2. Photo Identification e.g. Drivers Licence and /or passport
  3. Other Identification e.g. Medicare Card, Bank Card, Pensioner Card
  4. Proof of Current Address e.g. Telephone Bill, Electricity Bill
  5. Proof of income e.g. Payslip, Bank Statement

Once you have all the above you will need to hand it in to our office so we can process it.

↑ back to top

How Much Does It Cost To Rent A Property?

Cost to rent-min

Before you can take possession of a property, many property managers and landlords ask for a down payment. We require 4 weeks’ rent and a bond equivalent to a calendar month’s rent to be paid before you can move in.

For example, if you’ll be paying your rent weekly and the rent is $350 per week then you’ll need to pay a bond of $1400.  If you’re paying your rent monthly then the bond in this scenario would be the equivalent of a calendar month’s rent, which equates to $1,516.

Our office is unable to transfer Department of Housing Bonds because of restrictive legislation. If you’re relying on a bond transfer, please make our office aware prior to down payment so we can talk you through the process.

↑ back to top

How Do I Pay My Rent?

Online Payment-min-min

All rental payments should be made by direct deposit to:

Arbee Real Estate (Vic) Pty Ltd

Trust Account BSB #083 144

Account #51564 0656

The above payments will need to be made and received before you can collect your keys.

↑ back to top

How Do I Organise The Service Connections If I’m Approved For The Property?


It’s a tenant responsibility to ensure your power, gas, phone, internet, water etc have been connected into your name. You’ll also be required to get your water supply connected into your name.

Can You Get Me Connected on My Behalf?

We’d be happy to help. If you’ve indicated on your application form that you’d like us to setup your connections for you, we’ll endeavour to do so as soon as possible. It’s part of our property management service and is 100% free.

Should you want to connect the services yourself

Power and Gas

AGL (Gas or Electricity)                      13 3000

TRU (Gas or Electricity)                      13 3466

Origin (Gas or Electricity)                   13 2461

Telephone and Internet

Telstra                         13 22 00            

(also has e-cards to notify change of address)

Optus                          13 33 45            

AAPT                           13 88 88            

↑ back to top

What Are My Rights As A Tenant?

Know Your Rights-min

It’s important to know your rights. When moving into one of our properties, your property manager will have given you a “Renting a Home – A Guide for Tenants” booklet from Consumer Affairs. This will detail all your rights as a tenant.

If this doesn’t give you the clarification you need, feel free to get in touch with us or visit the consumer affairs website at You can also contact them by phone on 1300 558 181.

↑ back to top

How Much Notice Should I Give Before Vacating?

Vacating Lease-min

The sooner the better is the general policy for giving notice on property. If you’re looking to vacate, please give us written notice stating the date you’ll be moving, as well as any additional information you deem relevant. Here are the specific rules for each type of tenancy:

Ending a fixed term

If you’re vacating at the end of a fixed term lease, we need at least twenty-eight (28) days’ notice in writing. Your notice period will begin on the day we receive the notice, not when you post it.

Ending a non-fixed (periodic) term

If you’re vacating at the end of a non-fixed term lease, we also need at least twenty-eight (28) days’ notice in writing.

For this, your notice period also starts when we receive your written notice, not when you send it.

Breaking a fixed term

We understand sometimes fixed term leases can’t be fulfilled. If you’d like to leave during a fixed term lease before the term is up, we require your notice in writing. We’re unable to accept your notice verbally.

When breaking a fixed term lease, the following costs apply:

  1. Rent until a landlord-approved tenant takes possession, or the lease expires (whichever occurs first).
  2. Reletting fees and advertising costs to re-let the premises. This is payable pro-rata depending on how much of the lease remains when a new tenant is secured.
  3. Should the property be vacant for a period before the new tenant moves in, it’s also your responsibility to ensure the premise grounds remain watered and maintained.

↑ back to top

How Do I Reclaim My Bond Once I Vacate?


At the end of your tenancy, you’ll want to reclaim your bond. Here’s what you need to do to ensure it’s refunded quickly and efficiently:

  1. Pay any outstanding rent promptly
  2. Ensure the property is ready for the next tenant
  3. Settle any outstanding accounts, such as water, gas, etc.
  4. Return all keys for the property quickly

↑ back to top

Can I Have Pets?


Yes, if the landlord has granted you permission. If you’ve received permission, the following conditions apply for the duration of your tenancy:

  1. The yard must be kept clean from any animal faeces
  2. Any rubbish scattered by the pet must be cleared
  3. Any fleas present as the result of your pet will need to be dealt with by fumigation at your own cost
  4. Your pet must be kept outside of the residence
  5. Any damages caused by the pet must be fixed
  6. Any damages caused to the garden must be repaired
  7. No additional pets shall be kept, outside of those approved by the landlord
  8. No temporary pets or pet-sitting will be allowed
  9. Food and water won’t be left outside where it could attract other insects and animals
  10. All local council and by-laws must be abided by
  11. The pet won’t cause unnecessary noise to neighbours, day or night.

↑ back to top

How Do I Relight The Pilot Light?

Pilot Light-min

If the pilot light goes out in your hot water service or heater, don’t worry – you can relight it yourself. Please attempt the following before contacting our office:

  1. Locate the gas regulator valve (control knob) on the outside of the hot water system, this will generally be on the inside behind the access door).
  2. Turn the valve knob to the “off” position and wait 5 minutes for any gas to escape.
  3. Locate the pilot burner beneath the gas water heater and lift off any access covers that block access.
  4. Turn the gas regulator valve knob to “Pilot” and press down on it and hold it down.
  5. Look for a red or black button labelled “Ignition” on the top or side of the gas valve and push the button to ignite the pilot. If your heater requires manual lighting, the safest way to do so is by using a long-necked barbecue lighter.
  6. Hold down the regulator valve knob for at least one minute after the pilot has been lit. This helps the pilot flame to heat the thermocouple safety sensor that detects the presence of a live pilot flame.
  7. Slowly release the regulator valve knob. If the pilot stays lit, turn the knob to the “On” position. You should hear the burner igniting.

Please note: If you can smell gas in the area, please don’t try to relight the pilot. Get in touch with us ASAP and we’ll arrange for a professional to attend the property.

↑ back to top

How Often Do You Conduct Routine Inspections?

Routine Inspection-min

To ensure the property remains in the high standard you received it in, we conduct routine inspections every six (6) months. The first routine inspection, however, will be conducted three (3) months after you move in.

During the inspection, we’ll check for any required repairs and make recommendations for maintenance to the owner. We may need to take photos of required repairs, but we’ll never take photos of your possessions.

Here’s what we check for during our inspections:

Inside the property:

  1. Walls and light switches are free from marks
  2. Carpets are clean and stain-free
  3. Windows are clean
  4. Kitchen area is clean, as well as stove top
  5. Shower, bathroom, toilet, and laundry areas are all clean
  6. All rooms are unlocked and fully accessible

Outside the property:

  1. Lawns are freshly cut and maintained
  2. Garden areas are tidy and free of weeds
  3. Rubbish and lawn clippings are removed
  4. No unregistered vehicles are on the property
  5. Oil stains from carports are removed
  6. All areas, including garages and store rooms, are fully accessible
  7. Any swimming pools and spa areas are clean

If you have an approved pet:

  1. Any droppings are picked up and removed
  2. Any pet damage is cleaned and/or repaired

Please note: all dogs should be properly restrained for the inspection.

↑ back to top

Do I Need Insurance?

Home Insurance-min

When moving into one of our properties, you should note that your personal possessions are not covered for damage by the owner. If any events take place, such as a flood, storm, or house fire, your contents will not be paid for by us or the landlord.

If you’re concerned by damage to your goods, you should ensure you get insurance prior to moving in.

↑ back to top

What Happens If The Property I’m In Is Listed For Sale?

House for sale-min

If the rental property you’re in is listed for sale, the listing agent should be in contact with you to update you on the process. They should also inform you when they plan to show prospective buyers around.

Even if you’re in a lease agreement, the landlord is entitled to put the property up for sale. If the property is sold, however, your lease agreement will still stand.

If you’re on a month-to-month agreement or your lease is close to expiry, the agent can serve you with a 60-day notice to vacate.

Rest assured, however, that we’ll do our best to work closely with you to ensure this process is as stress-free as possible.

↑ back to top

How Do I Report Maintenance And After-Hours Repairs, And What Is Determined As Urgent?

Emergency leak-min

Here’s what you need to know about property maintenance and general repairs:

General repairs:

Any requests for general repairs should be lodged in writing. You can do this by downloading one of our repair request forms, or by using the form handed to you at the start of your tenancy.

Emergency repairs:

Items due for emergency repair are those that could cause injury or harm to the tenant or property. These may include:

  • Broken water pipes
  • Blocked or broken toilets
  • Serious roof and gas leaks
  • Dangerous electrical faults, such as loose live wires
  • Flooding and rainwater inundation
  • Serious fire, storm or impact damage
  • Failure or breakdown of gas, electricity and water supplies
  • Breakdown of an essential appliance, such as a cooker
  • Hot water service failure on a weekend or long weekend
  • General faults that are likely to cause damage or injury to you

After hours emergency repairs

Should an emergency repair be required after hours, please get in contact with our office on 03 5367 2333. One of our trained team members will talk you through what you need to do, as well as arrange for any required emergency repairs ASAP.

↑ back to top