Question 9

Do I Need Insurance?

As society becomes more litigation-conscious, the insurance industry is growing increasingly strict for both landlords and property managers alike.

To ensure we at Arbee Real Estate have the right indemnity insurance protection, we will need information on your buildings and landlord protection insurance for the properties we manage for you.

As a business, we require all buildings we manage to have public and legal liability cover. We may also require additional cover if you have a strata title building, as your strata insurance may well only apply to the outside of the buildings and their communal areas.

To stay safe and remove risk from the equation, our insurer advises you check your current coverage thoroughly. Your landlord insurance should cover you for a minimum of $10,000,000, but the ideal amount for maximum protection is $20,000,000.

What Should Your Insurance Policy Cover?

You should ensure you have adequate cover for the following:

  • Damage to other people’s property
  • Death or bodily injury to other people
  • Malicious damage cover for tenants and their guests

We can help you find the right quote

If you check your current cover and find it does not offer enough protection, we can help you to source better quotes. If you’d like more information on the policies we use at Arbee Real Estate, we will be happy to send it over.

What your landlord insurance should cover

Your landlord insurance should cover the following:

  • Loss of rent
  • Rent default
  • Malicious damage
  • Accidental damage
  • Theft
  • Property contents
  • Legal liability

If you already have contents insurance, you can cancel this and usually attain a refund. Most landlord insurance carriers provide contents coverage, so you won’t need the surplus contents insurance.

Landlord insurance is fully tax deductible and is now commonly regarded as essential protection. If it’s easier for you, we’ll be happy to have your insurance come through our office and automatically deduct the cost from your rent.

Be aware of differences between landlord insurance policies

The last thing we want is for you to get caught out on technicalities. We have had clients in the past who thought they were covered for accidental damage, but when damage occurred, it turned out they were only covered for damage they had caused themselves.