Renovating can be a great way to help add value to your Bacchus Marsh real estate, but as we all know, renovating can be expensive and there is always the risk of overcapitalising.
- Shop around for the materials you need – You might be surprised how cheap things like building supplies, household appliances or even whole kitchens can be. Go to building auctions or try places like eBay, GraysOnline or Gumtree to find great savings.
- Think about where you could use alternative finishes. For example, marble bench tops might look nice but are they really necessary? Could you get the same result (and increase the value of your home by just as much) by using a different and cheaper material?
- Don’t be afraid to hold onto the older parts of your building. The plaster or timber work at your home might seem old and dated, but depending on their condition, they may help add character – they may just need a little tender loving care.
- Can you do some of the work yourself? If so, you could save thousands of dollars on renovation costs. Just make sure that you’re capable of doing the work you intend to do, and don’t undertake anything that you need to be qualified for, such as plumbing or electrical work.
- Get plenty of quotes! If you’re hiring builders and tradesmen, shop around and compare prices. Chances are you won’t get the best offer straight away, and even if you do it’s nice to know that you got the best price. If you have friends in the building industry ask them for leads too.
These are just a few ways to help you save money on your next home renovation. If you have any more renovation saving tips though, then please share them by leaving a comment.