Remember, when a buyer is looking for a new home, the outside of the house is the first thing they’re likely to see. So what are they looking at when they see your property?
If you want buyers to get a good initial impression of your property then you might need to make a couple of minor alterations outside. Luckily, there are plenty of small little changes you can make to a property’s exterior, and they don’t need to come with a massive price tag.
Here are some ideas:
- Change the house numbers – You might be surprised by the difference changing your house numbers can make. New house numbers are an easy way to add a little bit of style or colour to the front of your home, and give it a more modern look.
- Replace the mailbox – An old-outdated mailbox can be an instant turnoff for buyers. While you’re replacing your house numbers, consider replacing your mailbox and help give your home’s appearance a bit of a boost.
- Paint the front door – It might be a bit much to paint the entire house, but if the front door is still in good condition then it could benefit from a new coat of paint. A fresh coat of paint on the front door can lift the look of the entire home and help add value. Check out Pinterest for some front door colour inspiration, with bright yellows, reds and blues being extremely popular at the moment.
- Give the house a good clean – Sometimes a good exterior house clean can look as good as a fresh coast of paint. You’d be surprised at the colour of your house without the buildup of mould, mildew and dirt on it. You can purchase or hire a pressure cleaner if you want to DIY, or you might prefer to hire a professional exterior cleaner to do it for you.
- Jazz up your windows and trim – Windows are the eyes of a house and can give a lot away about how well the interior is maintained. If they are broken or scratched then this won’t create the best impression for buyers. If you can’t afford to replace them then at least make sure they’re clean and that the trim looks neat and tidy. You might even like to add a couple of window boxes to add a bit of extra colour and life to your home.
- Add new light fixtures – Exterior lighting can be used to help highlight exterior features of your home, and it can add a beautiful glow for those property-listing photos. You might also like to install a feature light at the front of your home. Not only will extra lighting add a nice little touch, it can also add a bit of extra security to your home.
- Invest in landscaping – Last, but certainly not least, don’t forget to add life to your home’s exterior by planting trees or adding new garden beds. A bare front yard can make your home feel stark and exposed, so add some plants and trees to help it feel a bit more homely and private.
You might not need to do all of the above to improve your home’s exterior, but it’s a good place to start. For any personal advice regarding your property, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with Arbee Real Estate.