Winter is generally considered to be the worst season of the year for house fires and Bacchus Marsh residents should take all preventative measures they can to protect their home and reduce fire risk.
Heaters are generally thought to be the main cause of fires during winter, however the kitchen can be a culprit too. During winter people like to spend a lot more time in the kitchen cooking up heart-warming meals and this can lead to cooking accidents where a fire can break out.
While you’re cooking it’s important to always keep an eye on what is happening, and to never leave a stove unattended.
Appliances can also be a fire risk, with microwaves, dishwashers, dryers and reverse-cycle air-conditioners being the most common culprits.
Fires caused by appliances can help to be avoided by making sure they are clean and free of dust (remember to clean the filters of air-conditioners and dryers) and by making sure that power boards aren’t overloaded.
A few more fire safety tips include:
- Installing a photoelectric smoke alarm(s) and testing regularly. If you have battery-operated alarms, change the batteries at least once a year
- Having an evacuation plan that everyone in the house knows about and has practiced
- Keeping a fire extinguisher and fire blanket in the house
- Not using key-lock deadlocks on doors in case you need to leave in a hurry
- Calling 000 immediately if a fire breaks out that cannot be safely and quickly controlled
For the most up-to-date fire safety information visit http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/.