If you don’t then you might not be the only one, as while most people are good recyclers, there are still a lot of households in Bacchus Marsh who aren’t placing the right items in their recycling bin.
The yellow-lidded recycling bins in Bacchus Marsh are intended for paper, cardboard and packaging containers made from plastic, liquid paper board (eg. cartons), glass, steel and aluminium.
However other items are often found in recycling bins such as garden waste, nappies, food, electronics… you name it and it’s probably been put in a recycling bin before.
If the wrong items are placed into a recycling bin it can contaminate the whole bin and it means that all items in it will need to be taken to landfill, including the items that could have otherwise been recycled.
Sometimes the wrong items do make their way to recycling facilities however and these can then be expensive and time consuming to remove from the rest of the recyclable items.
Before you start thinking that maybe you should give up on recycling altogether, remember that recycling is one of the easiest things you can do to help the environment and it has many benefits, including:
- Protecting natural habitats by reducing the amount of raw materials being extracted from the environment.
- Reducing the air and water pollution that is generated through the extraction, refinement and processing of raw materials.
- Saving energy used in the extraction, refining, transportation and processing of raw materials into products and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Decreasing the amount of rubbish sent to landfill and reducing the need for new waste disposal facilities.
- Helping communities and the economy by encouraging innovation and creating jobs in the recycling industry.
If you want to make sure that you always place the right items in your recycling bin from now on, visit www.getitrightbinnight.vic.gov.au where you can learn all about how to recycle in Bacchus Marsh.