We know Bacchus Marsh families love driving around to see the different Christmas lights and displays around during the festive season. Watching a child’s eyes brighten as they stare in amazement at the magical Christmas scenes in their neighbours’ gardens is enough to melt the heart of any parent. So we thought we’d ask Bacchus Marsh residents to share the best Christmas lights displays they’ve seen so far this December.
Of course Christmas lights can go horribly wrong. We all remember Clark Griswold’s hilarious attempt to put on a show for his neighbours with 25,000 twinkle lights, only to cause a black-out. If you’re planning to adorn your Bacchus Marsh home with a bevy of twinkle lights and novelty decorations, there are a few tips to remember:
- Make sure you specifically buy outdoor lights. Indoor lights will not be waterproof and are not sufficiently insulated.
- Use outdoor powerpoints whenever possible, rather than trailing cords through windows.
- Avoid hanging lights against metal structures.
- Always use hooks rather than piercing the cable with nails, tacks or screws.
- Don’t leave your Christmas lights running while you’re in bed or out for the evening.
- Finally, make sure you fill in your neighbours. Nothing is guaranteed to revoke your invitation to the next street Christmas party more quickly that forgetting to let your neighbours know about the dazzling display you plan to leave glowing through their windows at all hours of the night. Letting them know what you’re planning to do, and what days/times you plan to switch the display on and off will no doubt ease tensions… and who knows, if they’re really appreciative of the early ‘heads-up’ they may even offer to help you with the installation!
Please share with us the streets you’ve found with the best lights in the comments section below, or, if you’ve been out hanging a great display in your own front yard, please feel free to proudly post a photo on our Facebook page. We’d love to click over to our page and find loads of Bacchus Marsh homes twinkling back at us!
Where are the best Christmas lights in Bacchus Marsh?