20 Nov 2013
Searching for your first rental home in Bacchus Marsh can feel like quite a daunting experience. In fact, know many first time renters come to us not knowing where to start or what their rights or obligations are. With many school leavers about to leave home before embarking on their first year of Tafe, University, or an apprenticeship, we know our Professionals Arbee Real Estate Property Managers are about to enter their peak time of year. We thought we’d put together this little tip sheet for those about to take their first step into the world of renting Bacchus Marsh real estate.
- Search in the price range you can afford. This may sound really obvious, but it can be very tempting to keep jumping up to the next price bracket. Just remember, your first rental home doesn’t have to be your dream home – and paying an extra $20-$30/week in rent may not seem like much, but actually equates to around $85-$130/month. Work out what you can afford, then find the property that most closely meets your needs, while staying within your budget.
- If you’re moving out of mum and dad’s to be closer to University, work or Tafe, make sure you’re looking at properties that have easy access to it, or that you’re nearby to the public transport that will get you there.
- Read the fine print. Most internet advertising will tell you the property price, available date, and if the owners want a short term tenancy. The advertising will also let you know the viewing instructions and open home times. You may be able to quickly eliminate properties from your shortlist if they’re not available until after University starts, or if the owners only want a 6 month lease.
- Be prepared. When viewing properties between now and early 2014, expect that competition will be tough and it may take a few weeks. Start looking early, take a completed application form and photocopies of ID and payslips with you, so you can submit your application as soon as you’ve been through the property you want.
- Have your bond money ready to pay. Assume your tenancy application will be accepted, and make sure you have the bond money ready to deposit. A bond is usually equal to one month’s rent.
If you’re ready to find your first Bacchus Marsh rental home, or if you have any questions about renting in Bacchus Marsh, please contact our friendly team at Professionals Arbee Real Estate today. We’d love to help you.