Not long now until children and young adults head back to school, so it’s time to start getting organised for the 2012 school year. Organising yourself and your family can be a major operation each day, so we thought we’d share some tips from a website we thought would be helpful to those parents out there who are looking to get set for school!
These tips have been summarised from experience, and parts of the kidspot.com.au website.
1) Don’t leave anything to the last minute. Check now that you have your child’s uniform, books, pencil case supplies, shoes, backpack, lunchbox and hat ready to go.
2) Make sure you, your family and your child are familiar with how they’re getting to and from school each day – parental pick-up, bus, train, tram, family member pick-up etc.
3) Set routines that include things like what time to get the kids up, breakfast options, making lunches, where and how school bags and uniforms are stored, homework times, and after school activities.
4) Family calendars are a great way to make sure everyone knows what’s happening in the coming days and week. Schedule appointments, sporting activities, school meetings and extra curricular activities as early as possible.
5) Give the kids healthy food for school. Although it sounds like a lot of work, it doesn’t have to be – check out healthy school lunch ideas here.
6) Label everything including books, bags, hats, uniforms (right down to shoes and socks), pencils, lunchboxes and sports equipment – basically anything that goes to school! Everything can be lost or mistaken for someone else’s belongings, so best to have everything named so you have a better chance of getting it back.
7) Plan ahead for school holidays as early as you can. Local school holiday programs fill fast, as do popular holiday destinations, so the sooner you have everything locked in, the less stress you’ll endure leading up to and during school holidays.
You can find a lot more tips and suggestions on the kidspot.com.au website and we recommend all parents have a scan through because there is likely to be something that will help make your back-to-school lead up less stressful.