With floods and the crazy weather that Bacchus Marsh has been experiencing of late, it’s extremely important for local residents to remember to take care of their health.
In times of stress it’s easy to let our health slide, but if you do let it slide then you could end up causing a lot more problems in the long run.
So first and foremost – take care of yours and your family’s health and well-being. Here are some things to pay attention to:
- Remember to wash your hands after cleaning up flood affected areas and also of course after using the bathroom, playing with pets and after shopping and holding objects that others have held.
- Keep the household clean – particularly the kitchen. Make sure bench tops and sinks are free of food scraps and that dirty dishes are left lying around.
- Remove sources of stagnant water where mosquitos might breed.
- When doing work outside wear insect repellent (or combine water and mouth wash as an alternative).
- Make sure to wear shoes outside. If you are planning on doing work outside it is a good idea to make sure shoes are covered in too.
- If you catch a cold or virus then always remember to cover your mouth or nose when coughing and sneezing and wash your hands frequently. You don’t want to make other people in your household or at work sick too!
- Don’t share food or drinks, especially with children who have been at school or day care.
- When you eat, try and make healthy choices such as fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Regularly use anti-bacterial wipes on computer keyboards, phones and other commonly used items.
- Wash your clothes and dishes in good quality detergents that have anti-bacterial properties.
If you follow the rules above then hopefully you can help stay healthy and reduce the chances of you or your family getting sick.